I often say to myself -
"I wish someone had told me that when I started my business !"
GET THE BASICS RIGHT - THE REST WILL FOLLOW :
- No 1 - KEEP IT SIMPLE ! (short, clear and to the point)
- Know your subject, be passionate about it and stay focussed
- Have a laser-like focus on strategy execution - use the balanced scorecard approach
- Hire great people (better ones than you !)
- Always trust your instincts
- Look outside the window every day or the world will pass you by.
- Try and be a "centre of excellence" in everything your business does
- Performing well in business has similar focus needed to perform well in sport.
- Determination, discipline, hard work, training are all part of a good business.
- Create happy customers and you will create a good business.
- Happy customers bring more customers......
- Ask yourself would all my customers recommend me ? If not - do something to correct it !
- Read and listen - pay attention .............and learn something.
- Keep learning - read your industry publications.
- I built a business listening to advice - you'd be amazed how many don't take advice and act upon it.
- The more in life you give out - the more that comes back to you
- There is no such thing as "not enough time"
- Think positive....be positive and try to turn negatives into positives.
- Avoid negative people !
- Listen to what your customers want and act on what they say - good things happen when you pay attention.
- Data underlies every decision. If the data is bad, the decision will be bad.
- IT can deliver a massive competitive advantage - but you are only as good as your last result.
- IT is great for taking a world-class process which can be introduced at an affordable cost.
- Think about WMD Words Music and Dance - the words you say, music - tone and speed of your speech, and Dance - your body language. Watch the person you are talking to and learn their "tells".
- Discover - "What good looks like ?" - and make sure you are better.
- Punch above your weight. Aim high.
- Act like the best, look like the best, and you could become one of the best.
- A superb professional brochure and website is essential.
- Develop a good business strategy - build a 4 part plan - customers, operations, people and finance.
- Networking can help build a great business - I proved this with Enable Software
- Focus on creating customer delight.
- Trust in young people - I made a 16 year old the Managing Director !
- Keep a good work / life balance
- Entrepreneurs are most effective when they are rested. Often the best ideas come away from work.
- Above all .........never give up !
- RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH ...
Some tips here at Forbes.com